Courtesy of Martha Stewart
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 6 hours
Servings: 58 4-inch cookies
- 5 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface and parchment
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Dutchman’s Gold Summer Blossom honey
- ½ cup unsulfured molasses
- Martha's Favorite Royal Icing
- Fine sanding sugar
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and spices in a large bowl.
- Beat together butter and granulated sugar with a mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then honey and molasses.
- Reduce speed to low, and gradually add flour mixture until well combined. Divide dough into thirds and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm but still pliable, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F .
- Working with a third of dough at a time, roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness on generously floured parchment. Brush off excess flour, transfer dough on parchment to a baking sheet, and freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Cut into shapes with cookie cutters, rerolling scraps as needed. Transfer cookies to parchment-lined baking sheets, and freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Bake until edges turn golden, about 15 minutes, rotating once and firmly rapping baking sheet halfway through baking to flatten any bubbles in cookies.
- Let cookies cool completely on baking sheets set on wire racks.
- Place icing in a pastry bag fitted with a small plain round tip (ATECO #0, 1, or 2). Pipe outlines and details on cookies. Immediately sprinkle with sanding sugar and tap off excess.
- Let set completely, uncovered, at room temperature, at least 4 hours or (ideally) overnight.