Frequently Asked Questions & More
Why buy Dutchman's Gold Honey?
Dutchman's Gold Honey is pure, natural, non-pasteurized, and CFIA registered. Every spoonful is from the product of the honeybee hives. We carry honey from three distinctive floral sources, being 100% Canadian and Kosher: Summer Blossom, Wildflower and Buckwheat honey. Available in a variety of forms, from raw, liquid or creamed. We also blend with flavours like cinnamon, raspberry or cocoa, and with products from the beehive: royal jelly & bee pollen.
How do I take care of my honey?
Honey is one of the few products in the world that never goes bad. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs was still edible thousands of years later. Because of all the healthy enzymes and benefits in honey, its natural setting process is to crystallize (into a more solid state); your honey has not gone bad just simply has set!
Liquid Honey - To help prevent natural crystallization, keep it at room temperature, minimum 50 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit (10-15 degrees Celsius). Some floral sources crystallizes more quickly then others. But don't panic -
If Honey Crystallizes - Place open glass jar in pan of hot water and warm slowly back to a liquid state.
Creamed Honey - If you prefer a firm texture, keep it in the fridge, or may be stored at room temperature.
"SAVE THE BEES!" How can I practically help?
- Provide a succession of blooming plants throughout the growing season in your gardens.
- Spring & Fall can be challenging times for Honey Bees, tolerate the dandelions in spring, and don't rush to that fall clean up.
- Choose nonchemical solutions to insect problems and for weeds.
- Provide a source of pesticide-free water like birdbaths.
- Mowing grass often kills bees, try to mow when bees aren't active: when it's cool, overcast, windy, or later in the evening.
- Encourage your local community to eliminate roadside pesticide and herbicide use and to mow less often.
I have a swarm of "bees" what do I do?
Visit the Ontario Beekeepers Association website and they will be more than happy to assist you.
Please visit HERE.
I am interested in starting a hive, where do I start?
Congratulations, we are excited to help start you off on your new venture! To see if this is right for you or simply for more information on bees and beekeeping click HERE.